BC PNP Tech offers skilled workers in select, in-demand tech occupations a pathway to permanent residence. It helps BC tech employers recruit and retain international talent when local skilled workers are unavailable.
About BC PNP Tech
Faced with a shortage of talent in the technology sector, B.C. launched the pilot project to attract skilled workers from other countries to help grow the province’s technology sector.
BC PNP Tech was originally launched in May 2017 as a pilot project in response to the fast-growing demand for talent in BC’s technology sector. In June 2021, the province made the pilot a permanent program.
BC PNP Tech provides B.C. tech employers with the continued ability to recruit and retain international talent in tech occupations when local skilled workers are unavailable. This initiative gives in-demand foreign workers and international students a pathway to permanent residence (PR), so they can help grow our economy and build a great life here in B.C.
BC PNP Tech has supported more than 6,000 tech workers to be nominated for permanent residence.
Immigration opportunities for applicants under BCPNP Tech
Benefits for applicants
- The BC PNP Tech offers an accelerated immigration pathway that does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Work permit support letters for nominees so they can apply for a new work permit or renew their current work permit and continue to work throughout the federal permanent residence process
- Client support services through email and phone until permanent residence
- Dedicated concierge service for your supporting employer
- Weekly invitations are sent out by the B.C. province to the top-scoring candidates who meet the eligibility requirements.
- Invited candidates apply for a provincial nomination have 30 days to submit a complete application. Once this is done, the processing time is mostly within two to three months.
- After receiving a nomination confirmation, candidate can apply for their permanent residence from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) under the Provincial Nominee Class.
- With extra 600 points for candidates’ Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, they will have higher chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for PR through the Express Entry system.
Eligible occupations and job offer
Select in-demand tech occupations
To be eligible for the BC PNP Tech program, candidate must be registered for one of the BC Skills Immigration programs. Candidates must also be working in one of 29 tech occupations identified as in-demand by the BC PNP:
|10030||Telecommunication carriers managers||21311||Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)|
|20012||Computer and information systems managers||21320||Chemical engineers|
|21100||Physicists and astronomers||21399||Other professional engineers|
|21210||Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries||22110||Biological technologists and technicians|
|21211||Data scientists||22220||Computer network and web technicians|
|21220||Cybersecurity specialists||22221||User support technicians|
|21221||Business systems specialists||22222||Information systems testing technicians|
|21222||Information systems specialists||22310||Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians|
|21223||Database analysts and data administrators||50011||Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts|
|21230||Computer systems developers and programmers||22312||Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics|
|21231||Software engineers and designers||51111||Authors and writers (except technical)|
|21232||Software developers and programmers||51112||Technical writers|
|21233||Web designers||51120||Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations|
|21234||Web developers and programmers||52119||Other technical and coordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts|
|21300||Civil engineers||52112||Broadcast technicians|
|21301||Mechanical engineers||52113||Audio and video recording technicians|
|21310||Electrical and electronics engineers||52120||Graphic designers and illustrators|
|53111||Motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and performing arts assistants and operators|
You need to choose the BC PNP stream that is right for you, and meet the general and stream requirements:
- Skilled Worker (including Express Entry BC option)
- International Graduate (including Express Entry BC option)
General BC PNP Tech employer requirements
Your employer must:
- be established as an employer in good standing in B.C.
- provide full-time, indeterminate (permanent or with no set end date) employment
- have a history of good workplace and business practices
- sign an employer declaration
- meet domestic labour market recruitment requirements, where applicable
- make you a full-time, indeterminate job offer
- offer you a wage in line with industry standards
- Must be for a single job in one of BC PNP Tech’s eligible occupations
- your job offer must be for at least one year in duration (365 days).
- Unlike the other BC PNP streams that require a permanent job offer, Tech program job offers must be for a minimum of one year with at least 120 days remaining at the time of application.
- The job offer must also be full-time and from an eligible employer in the province.
- Job offers of more than one year are also eligible under the program.
How to apply for the BC PNP Tech
The BC PNP Tech program is aligned with BC’s Skills Immigration programs. The programs best fitting for the Tech program are the BC Skilled Worker and BC International Graduate programs.
- Step 1: Get a job offer in on of the 29 eligible occupations
- Step 2: Register online, create a profile through the province’s online portal, the Skills Immigration Registration System (SIRS), register under one of its existing categories, and receive a registration score.
- Step 3: The BC PNP will conduct a tech draw to invite the highest-scoring technology sector registrants to apply on a weekly basis.
- Step 4: Invited candidates have up to 30 calendar days from the date of invitation to submit a complete online application. The government application fee is CAD $1,150.
- Step 5: If approved, the applicant receives a provincial nomination certificate that he or she can use to apply for Canadian permanent residence.
- Step 6: Individuals who have been nominated and who meet the conditions of their nomination will receive a work permit support letter that allows them to obtain or renew their current work permit allowing them to work throughout the process.
To know more about how to move to the British Columbia province via BC PNP, give us a call on 1-778-366-0660. Our experienced immigration consultant will help you to strategize your immigration plan to Canada and help in maximizing your chance to get the Canada PR.